San Mateo County
By The Bay Health
Home Health Care
Choose your health care option
Dr. Ava Lee is the latest addition to By the Bay Health’s team of dedicated hospice physicians. She studied medicine at Tufts Medical School in Boston and completed her residency in Family Medicine at San Francisco General Hospital, with a focus on underserved populations.
By the Bay Health (BTBH) today announced the appointment of Amira Barger, Tracy Stempel Hogan, and Greg LeClaire to the Board of Directors.
Dr. Sarah Sedke is By the Bay Health’s newest palliative care physician. She was born and raised on the East Coast, where she received her medical degree from Columbia University and then completed her residency in Internal Medicine at New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Hospice is for patients who are facing a terminal prognosis of six months or less, if their disease follows its expected course.
- Palliative care meets the needs of patients who don’t have a terminal diagnosis, but are still facing a serious, challenging, or life-threatening illness.
- Skilled home health care helps homebound patients who are recovering from surgery or learning to cope with long-term medical challenges such as heart disease, COPD, or diabetes.
Each of the sections on our website under Patient Care provides more detail on eligibility, insurance coverage, and admission. You may then consult with your primary physician or give us a call.
Some of the key indicators that it may be time to consider hospice are when:
- Treatments meant to cure or slow the disease are no longer working
- Frequent hospital visits are used to control pain and symptoms
- There is an unexplained drop in weight
- The patient spends most of the day lying down
- The patient experiences shortness of breath while resting
No. Anyone may refer a patient to our care, in order to start the admission process. However, a By the Bay Health physician, in consultation with your primary physician or specialist, will determine your eligibility for you to access our services.
Insurance coverage varies for each service option. Some are almost fully covered by Medicare, while others rely on a growing list of contracted insurers. We can help you determine your options.